Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Great American Dream...Really?

I look out the window and I notice that the leaves are changing colors. I know that fall is here which means its been three months since I've made US of A, my home. For many of us Indians coming to the USA is like a dream come true. It was like that for me too. But until I moved here in the month of July. Suddenly I felt like a fish out of water. This place is huge but I could not breathe, there are many people living here but not one friendly face, there may be many species living here but I could not hear even a bird chirp, there are kids all over the place but i could not hear even one child squeal. Is this how this place is? Is this where I am expected to live after I moved from a place where there was absolutely no dearth for noise. I went into depression. i could not take it anymore. I would cry everyday and wonder what the hell I am doing in this place. But soon everything changed. Like how they say this place started growing in me. I started enjoying the silence that filled this place, I realised that there are friendly people out there when I went grocery shopping, I went to the park and heard the children squeal, I made some friends too. I've lived in the United Kingdom for a year and a half but I can very well  see that USA is a much better place to live than the UK. People here are more friendlier and approachable.I can see that my standard of living may be better here, less pollution, less travel, easy access to things, great facilities but having said that there is always something that will be missing. There is a hollowness and an emptiness that this beautiful place cant fill.  The Big American Dream seems very beautiful as a dream but when you wake up you don't feel the beauty of it anymore. And that my friends can only be felt when you are home, closer to your loved ones. That emptiness gets filled up to brim when you are sitting in your living room with your loved ones around you talking about your childhood, that hollowness disappears when you step out of your house and there are people walking up to you asking to come by their house, when you go to buy vegetables from the vendor outside your apartment and she inquires why you were not seen all this while. It is rightly said that home is where the heart is. You can take the woman out of the country but you can't take the country out of the woman. I've left a part of me in that place I rightly call my home and I am sure one day I will go back to  retrieve it and after that there will be no looking back. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A very nice write up about your feelings.I know how you feel but I am sure you would come to love America once you take up a job or something to spend your time fruitfully besides looking after your family
raja athimbare